The Kirby Municipal Court handles all class C misdemeanor traffic and city ordinance violations written by Kirby Police, Animal Control, and Code Enforcement. The Kirby Municipal Court has jurisdiction over offenses occurring within the city limits that are violations of city ordinances or violations of a state statute.
Court Payment Information
You must set up a payment plan with the court clerk in order to make partial payments online.
All payments will include a 5% Processing Fee and a $2.50 Online Payment Fee.
- The court accepts cash, money order, cashier’s check, and credit card (Visa, MasterCard and Discover) with a 5% fee.
- We also accept debit cards with a Visa or Master Card logo.
- Money Order and Cashier’s Check should be made payable to the City of Kirby and include your citation number on it.
- Payment of fines is accepted in person or by mail.
- You may also pay by dropping your payment in the water bill drop box located next to the mail box in the parking lot in an envelope with the word Court written on it.
- No cash please.
- Only the defendant or their attorney can make the initial payment. Once the payment extension has been granted anyone is authorized to make payments.
Note that a $25 payment plan fee is added to each citation on the 31st day.
Court is held the 3rd Wednesday of each month, unless stated otherwise on the citation. Check in begins at noon. Court starts promptly at 1:00 p.m. You may appear on or before your court date to take care of your ticket, otherwise you must appear on your scheduled court date in order to see the judge. Failure to appear on or before your court date will add additional charges and a warrant for your arrest is enforced. If you plead not guilty to the charges you have the right to appear in court and contest the charges(s) filed against you and you have the right to a trial.
COURT DATE IS JUNE 19, 2019.
- Proper dress attire required: T-shirts are allowed (no obscene or offensive messages) but no muscle shirts, tank, tube, or crop tops
- Remove caps and hats
- Turn all cell phones and all other electronic devices off
- You must be quiet in the courtroom
- All children are to keep quiet at all times or you may be escorted out of the courtroom and at that time you may make arrangements to be rescheduled
- No food or beverages are allowed in the courtroom
- Due to limited seating, accommodations are for defendants only, everyone else must wait in the lobby and no child can occupy a seat. You must sit them in your lap.
- Nolo Contendre (No Contest) – A plea in which the defendant does not contest the charge
- Guilty – A plea by which a defendant confesses to the crime with which the defendant is charged
- Not Guilty – A plea in which the defendant informs the court that he or she denies guilt
Once you request Defensive Driving or Deferred Disposition you may enter a plea of guilty or no contest. If you enter a plea of not guilty, you will not be eligible to take Defensive Driving or Deferred Disposition. You will then be scheduled for a trial for a different court day and time.
The Municipal Court has jurisdiction over juveniles (under age 17) charged with most Class C misdemeanors, including traffic offenses. All juveniles are required to appear in court with a parent or guardian. Juveniles may not pay fines prior to appearing before the court.
- You may be eligible to request a driver safety course and have your citation dismissed. The request must be made in writing on or before your court date.
- To qualify you must meet the following:
- •Defendants must have a valid Texas driver license at the time of the offense or permit, proof of active military duty or proof that defendant is spouse or dependent child of a person on active military duty.
- •Defendants must present the court proof of valid financial responsibility (Insurance).
- •A written plea of guilty or no contest
- •Complete a driving course application
- •Pay court cost and administrative fee Speeding and most other violations $109.10 Speeding in a School Zone $134.10
- You are not eligible, if:
- •You possess a commercial driver license;
- •If you are currently taking a driving course for another traffic violation or another court;
- •Defendant cannot have completed a driver safety course/motorcycle operator training course within the 12 months preceding the date of the current offense.
- •You committed one of the following offenses:
- •Passing a school bus
- •Speeding 25 mph over the posted speed limit or more
- •Leaving the scene of an accident
- •Reckless driving
- •Duty to give information and render aid
- •Serious traffic violations
- •An offense in a construction zone where workers are present
- You will be allowed 90 days to complete the course and must, on or before the 90thday, present your signed completion certificate and driving record to the court. The deadline for taking a driver safety course will not be extended. Failure to provide the proper paperwork to the court will result in the fine amount becoming due and a conviction being entered on your driving record. A warrant for your arrest may also be issued, resulting in additional charges.
Kirby Municipal Court offers deferred disposition also known as probation. You may come on or before your court date to fill out an application for deferred disposition. The probation period is for 90 days. Defendants must plead guilty or no contest or be found guilty. Defendant cannot have a commercial driver license. Defendant offense cannot have occurred in a construction or maintenance work zone when workers are present. If the defendant is younger than 25 years of age and charged with a moving traffic violation, they must also take a driver safety course as a term of the deferred disposition.
With proof, the following citations come with a dismissal fee:
- Expired Registration
- Expired Inspection
- Fail to Display Drivers License
- Expired Driver License
- Fail to Report Change of Address of Name on Driver License
- License Plates
- Defective Equipment
- Failure to Maintain Financial Responsibility (Insurance). Dismissed without a fine or fee, if insurance was good at the time of stop.