Directs calls for non-emergency and emergency service purposes including police, fire and after-hours calls for other city departments; non-emergency inquires. Employee must be available to work various shifts, including weekends and holidays.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Receives and records emergency and routine business calls as well as 911 emergency calls.
- Determine if emergency or non emergency situations exist, determine extent and type of assistance needed and dispatch appropriate police and fire units to calls for service.
- Maintain contact with all units on assignment, maintain status and location of police and fire units; while simultaneously entering, updating and retrieving information from a variety of computer systems.
- Refer calls to other agencies or departments as needed.
- Maintain communication, concentration, and decision making ability in life threatening or crisis situations, or when callers are irate, verbally abusive, hysterical, or minimally communicative.
- Handle multiple calls or emergencies simultaneously without losing concentration or judgment.
- Make split second decisions about emergencies based on sound analysis of information obtained and knowledge of emergency procedures.
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Receive requests for information regarding vehicle registration, driving records and warrants, and provide pertinent data.
- Monitor several public safety radio frequencies.
- Operate a variety of communications equipment, including radio consoles, telephones and computer systems.
- Serve as receptionist for the Department; answering the phone; transferring calls to the appropriate personnel and take messages as needed.
- Perform miscellaneous duties associated with dispatching and records, i.e. filing of reports and other duties with regard to records as instructed by the immediate supervisor. Including scanning old offense reports; printing reports as needed for other divisions and agencies; collecting monies for copies of reports, and completing associated paperwork and receipts.
- Do validations of outstanding cases in the TCIC/NCIC system; including arrest warrants, stolen property etc.
- Required to have a high school diploma or GED.
- Required to have a valid Texas Driver’s license or ID Card
- Must be able to type 35 words per minute.
- Dispatching experience preferred.
- Ability to be certified by the Texas Department of Public Safety in TCIC/NCIC operations within 6 months of employment.
- Ability to be certified as a Basic Telecommunications Operator by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) within six months of employment.
- Applicants must pass an oral interview, extensive background investigation to include criminal history, driving record, and credit/financial history, psychological exam, physical exam and drug screen.
- Bi-lingual skills a plus.
WATER UTILITY WORKER
Under the direction of the Public Works Director, maintain safe water for the community, provide clean and safe public facilities, public grounds, and streets for the City.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides safe water for the community by cleaning, maintaining, and repairing sewer lines and well sites
- Maintains chlorine and usage and water tank levels
- Maintains and repairs pump motors
- Performs sewer line maintenance
- Repairs and replaces meters, fire hydrants, stops, valves, and manholes
- Places pipes and repairs water mains
- Reads and records residential and commercial water usage
- Assists in the construction and repairing of streets and public work sites by performing small electrical and carpentry repairs
- Digs trenching holes
- Lays and spreads soil
- Lays sod and fertilizer
- Seals cracks and refills potholes in the street
- Mends water leaks
- Repairs and replaces water lines, mains, clamps, and valves
- Uses heavy equipment, such as front-end loaders and dump trucks
- Puts out signs and barricades to assist the flow of traffic
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
Maintain safe water for the community, provide clean and safe public facilities, public grounds, and streets for the City. Read meters and other water usage levels, cleaning sewer mains and lines, repairing main breaks, maintaining water levels and pressure, picking up trash and debris daily around sites, trimming trees, mowing and edging lawns, repairing roadways and street signs, performing minor plumbing and electrical repairs, and operating small and heavy equipment as needed. Other duties include cleaning public restrooms and assisting with special events as needed.
- Graduation from high school or four years of equivalency
- Valid Texas Driver’s License with acceptable driving record; Class C or CDL
- Water “C” and Wastewater Collection II TCEQ Licenses required