Kirby has been an established community for more than sixty years. The City of Kirby, located eight miles west of Randolph Air Force Base on FM 78, and three miles east of Ft. Sam Houston Joint Base, is primarily a residential community with a population of approximately 8,300 and occupies about 2 square miles.
A plantation man from South Carolina, named Kirby, owned land containing large trees, which he cut and used to make railroad ties. Kirby selected the area where the City is located to stockpile his railroad ties and when crews needed more, the common remark “Kirby Ties” was used as method of identification.
Railroad construction actually began about 1890 and Kirby came on the scene between 1900-1910. The City was incorporated in 1955. Just a short drive from San Antonio, Fort Sam Houston and Randolph, Kirby operates under a home rule charter and council-manager form of government consisting of a mayor and six council members.
The mayor is Lisa B. Pierce and the city manager is Monique L. Vernon. The City Council includes Sylvia Apodaca, Mike Grant, Jerry Lehman, Kimberly McGehee-Aldrich, John Pierce and Debra Wilson. City Hall is located at 112 Bauman Street, built on the same site of the former City Hall. Council meetings are held at 7 p.m. on the second and fourth Thursdays of each month.
Children attend school in the Judson Independent School District at Hopkins Elementary, Kirby Middle School, and Wagner High School. CPS Energy provides natural gas and electricity to the City and wastewater treatment is through the San Antonio Water System. Kirby has its own water supply from two wells. Solid waste and recycling are collected under a contract with Republic Services.
|1997-2001||Johnny Duffek, Jr.|
|2007-2012||Johnny Duffek, Jr.|
|2012-2017||Timothy J. Wilson|