The city of Kirby, located eight miles west of Randolph Air Force Base on FM 78, and three miles east of Ft. Sam Houston, is primarily a residential community with a population of approximately 8,600 and occupying 2.2 square miles.
A plantation man from South Carolina, named Kirby, owned land containing large trees, which he cut and used to make railroad ties. Kirby selected the area where the city is located to stockpile his railroad ties and when crews needed more, the common remark was related to "Kirby Ties" as a place of identification.
Railroad construction actually began about 1890 and Kirby came on the scene between 1900-1910. The city was incorporated in 1955. Just a short drive from San Antonio, Fort Sam Houston and Randolph, Kirby operates under a home rule form of government with a mayor and six council members.
The mayor is Timothy J. Wilson, while the city manager is Timothy Bolda. The City Council includes members Stephanie (Jordan) Faulkner, Jerry Lehman, Lisa Pierce, Ernest Spradling, John Houlton and Don Aldridge. City Hall is located on Bauman Street, built on the site of the former City Hall. Council meetings are held at 7 p.m. on the second and fourth Thursdays of each month.
Children attend school in the Judson Independent School District at Hopkins Elementary and Kirby Middle School.
CPS Energy provides natural gas and electricity to the city and wastewater treatment is through the San Antonio Water System. Kirby has its own water supply from two wells. Solid waste and recycling are collected under a contract with Allied Waste.