Go to the Kirby Police Department to apply, 4130 Ackerman Road.
DISPATCHER (Part-Time and Full-Time)
Directs calls for non-emergency and emergency service purposes including police, fire and after-hours calls for other city departments; non-emergency inquires. Employee must be available to work various shifts, including weekends and holidays.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Receives and records emergency and routine business calls as well as 911 emergency calls.
- Determine if emergency or non emergency situations exist, determine extent and type of assistance needed and dispatch appropriate police and fire units to calls for service.
- Maintain contact with all units on assignment, maintain status and location of police and fire units; while simultaneously entering, updating and retrieving information from a variety of computer systems.
- Refer calls to other agencies or departments as needed.
- Maintain communication, concentration, and decision making ability in life threatening or crisis situations, or when callers are irate, verbally abusive, hysterical, or minimally communicative.
- Handle multiple calls or emergencies simultaneously without losing concentration or judgment.
- Make split second decisions about emergencies based on sound analysis of information obtained and knowledge of emergency procedures.
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
- Required to have a high school diploma or GED.
- Required to have a valid Texas Driver’s license or ID Card.
- Must be able to type 35 words per minute.
- Dispatching experience preferred.
- Ability to be certified by the Texas Department of Public Safety in TCIC/NCIC operations within 6 months of employment.
- Ability to be certified as a Basic Telecommunications Operator by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) within six months of employment.
- Applicants must pass an oral interview, extensive background investigation to include criminal history, driving record, and credit/financial history, psychological exam, physical exam and drug screen
- Bi-lingual skills a plus.